During the interview with the Academy's website reporter, Arshad Makhir, a graduate of the English-language master's program «MSc in Strategic Communications» of the Institute of Social Sciences (ISS), RANEPA, shared his impressions of the educational process and the result of studying the program.
- Can you tell us a little about your professional interests’ areas and the skills and experience that you managed to acquire before entering the master’s program?
- For almost 10 years, my work has been associated with international projects – from market analysis and partners seeking, to the bargain settlement and logistics control. I started with indirect work on the selection of components, coordination of technical features and then import. Moreover, I was engaged in the introduction of products to the market. Now I have several key customers in Europe and we are working on developing new sales markets. My first education at the Bauman Moscow State Technical University helped me quickly explore new areas of activity, but I was also lucky, and I am glad to say that I am still lucky with my colleagues, who are interested in joining forces to open new horizons.
- How did you get to realize that you want to continue your studies at the Academy? Can you dwell on how you learned about the «MSc in Strategic Communications program» and what captured your attention?
I believe that for every ambitious applicant the choice of a university is a life-affirming experience. Self-identification is not complete yet, and the pressure to make a decision here and now does not help. It seems that a mistake can change your fate dramatically, but it is not. In my case, after 6 years of study at a technical university, I did not become an engineer, but I do not see anything wrong with that. I do not apply the specific knowledge gained to all known resistance materials or the theory of machine mechanisms, but the obtaining information technique is common for everyone.
My wife told me about the program after seeing an advertisement on the Internet. My comrades graduated from RANEPA and their description of the learning process was an excellent reason to go to the open day.
After the speech of one of the speakers of the program - Sergei Chumak, I had no doubts. The program itself satisfied my interest in international projects, the faculty consisted of acting professionals who have a lot to learn from.
- Can you share your impressions of the educational process?
A distinctive feature of additional education is the well-thought choice of the majority of students, based on high motivation, professional experience and interests. It is unlikely to find bored glances, directed toward the classroom’s exit, in the hope of escaping in search of student parties.
Communication with like-minded people who are passionate about their work and share their ideas, help to develop together as a team, which is another advantage of the program.
- What was the most useful and valuable thing in studying for the Master's program?
Disciplines and their well-structured sequence, foreign professors who shared not only knowledge within their field of activity, but also gave an understanding of intercultural differences, the peculiarities of their application in different parts of the world.
- Is it possible for you to say that you achieved something from the training?
Sure! Despite the fact that at the time of the beginning of my studies I was already working on new markets, I significantly expanded the area of my work, adding Asia, which is known as one of the most closed and difficult regions to work with. During the training, it was possible to apply new knowledge, which later served as the foundation for the graduation project, the results of which led to the largest breakthrough in working in the Asian markets for the entire history of the company.
- Who would you recommend this program to and why?
Selection of the program is a very individual question. I would recommend exploring different program options, go to open days, talk to professors, and possibly alumni. As soon as an interesting topic is found, you should go for it without any doubts, and not leaving for the future, otherwise it will remain there along with other forgotten dreams.